25 January 2010

Like Me...

Let me tell you my stroy. A year ago I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. Not such a revelation since I started this blog as a means of support for those with MS. The story happens BD (before diagnosis). You see, I was that chic - the one from the outside that seemes to be "making it happen". The kids, the husband, the demanding career, the busy schedule. Yeah, you know her too? Like most, I experienced symptoms BD. The dizziness, blurred vision, imbalance, sensitivity to sound - sound familiar? The things that would make a normal person stop and take notice. Not me. It started around 4:30am as I began what was to be yet another long work day. At this point I was averaging between 55 and 60 hours a week. I noticed as I went to spit after brushing my teeth I made the funniest zerbert sound (is that a word? - you know what I mean) At that time I just laughed it off as dilerium at that obscene hour in the morning and went about my day. Next day -- 4:30am, same thing. Again, I laughed and went about my day. Day three -- yes, day three! Same story, a little concern creeps in but I dismiss it. Later that day while laughing with a co-worker I notice my smile doesn't feel quite the same. I go to the ladies room to look at my gorgeousness - ok, not so cute. One side of my face does not react. What the_____! (you can fill in the blank) Yes, you can scream at me that it took me three days of having the entire right side of my face being paralyzed to become a concern (in retrospect I feel the same way). But herein lies the story. I still did not consult a doctor. Because even though I knew what was happening wasn't right, I had attributed the dizziness, blurred vision, imbalance, and fatigue to being over-worked or the fact that I am anemic and had not been eating properly. The paralysis I didn't know what that was about but I had a project deadline and going to the doctor just didn't fit into my schdule. So yes, I walked around for an entire week with the right side of my face completely paralyzed. I just covered my mouth when I spoke or didn't look people directly in the eye. My husband didn't even know. Because I had work to do, I would worry about me later. Thankfully the paralysis was temporary and I finally did go to the doctor. Who also infomred me that I was crazy to walk around for a week with a paralyzed face. The rest, you know -- tests, MRI's, consultations, diagnosis. Fast forward to now....why did I create this blog? Because I know there are other stiletto clad fashionista, go-getters out there LIKE ME. There is an exhaustive amount of information out there in regards to MS, treatment options, research and diagnosis. If you are in search of that type of information check out some of my links, but this is not the blog for that. I'm not a doctor, researcher nor do I have any experience in the medical field. I am a wife, mother, and career woman making it happen, similar to other women Like Me. Yes, I was diagnosed with MS. But I am not MS. My neurologist told me at the time of diagnos that the prognosis they used to give newly diagnosed patients was that within ten years they would be disabled. And to be honest, that is all I can remember him saying during that initial conversation. In my mind it went sorta like this "You have Multiple Sclerosis, womp, womp, womp, womp (like Charlie Brown's teacher) womp , womp, womp, you may be disabled....screeecchhhh - put on the brakes! (yes I think/type in sound effects) That is when I received clarification on that statement. Bottom line, whether that is or is not the prognosis, #1 I'm too cute to be disabled :) and #2 if I only have ten years living this quality of life as I know it, then it's time to make some changes. Because if I only have ten years left this is going to be the PERFECT 10! So, join the journey with me. This blog is for all of the women out there who have MS but are not MS. The women who are still looking to "make it happen" but maybe with a more realistic balance. For the women who are not consumed with letting MS define their lives but acknowledge we may need to make a few alterations to enhance our lives. It's like the perfect little black dress. It fits amazing but if it was just a little tighter right here it would be oh, that much better. So let's consider MS your little black dress and let's consider this blog your run into the city to see that seamstress on the corner of destiny and courage (fill in the blanks with your words of inspiration). Because I'm trying to rock my little black dress and matching leopard print stilettos for as long as I can. And, if you're reading this blog then you're...just LIKE ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment